Rochester NY Wedding Photographer, Heather McKay gives you tips on how to prepare and give a killer formal wedding toast:
- Start early, at least a week in advance. Gather plenty of information about the person you are toasting, preferably something obscure so that guests are hearing it new.
- Stick to the 4 minute rule. A one minute speech about your best friend’s new husband will seem paltry, but a 20 minute monologue will have the audience fidgeting in their seats.
- It’s not about you. Keep the I’s and Me’s to a low roar.
- Be naughty, not raunchy. Most couples don’t want to hear about their most embarrassing moments in front of their Grandma.
- Wear something comfortable. Tugging at your outfit and fixing your hair will make ou more nervous than you already are.
- Remember to actually pick up your glass and ask everyone to toast the newly married couple.
- Stand near the couple, if possible. The guests (and Photographer) can see their reactions as you are speaking and the couple can hug/hand shake easily when you are finished.