I stumbled on this great little video just when I needed it the most. After 11 years in business, as a single, self-employed woman in an industry where every single person with a camera assumes they should start a business as a photographer, this was a great slap on the back and slap in the face. Perfectly inspiring on a rainy day listening to blues music….
If you are starting any business, or an aspiring artist, I highly recommend you check it out:
What were my take aways? These are things I already know, but really needed to hear again:
- do the work. work more than everyone else
- show what you want to sell
- you can be successful at any age, don’t wait for it
- be nice to people
- avoid debt and monthly expenses
- don’t doubt my ideas… it’s more comfortable to not try something
- go out on a limb on the big jobs, when you can’t fail. it has to work
- make a decision and stick to it
- don’t chase the money. it will follow if I’m happy with the work I’m doing.
- what can I do that no one else is doing? What can my pictures achieve?