Can you commit to doing just one thing less wasteful today? Reuse an old t-shirt as a rag? Buy food in glass instead of plastic? Stay home today? Unplug items not in use? Eat only vegetarian meals? Capture rain to water plants?
“Earth Day is a day early each year on which events are held worldwide to increase awareness and appreciation of the Earth‘s natural environment. Earth Day is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network, and is celebrated in more than 175 countries every year. In 2009, the United Nations designated April 22 International Mother Earth Day. Earth Day is planned for April 22 in all years at least through 2015.” ~ Wikipedia
Q: What does McKay’s Photography do to reduce environmental impact?
A: A lot…
- Work from home
- Bike to most errands, or run them all on the same day
- Electricity is from Wind energy
- Buy only Energy Star appliances
- Repair instead of just buying new
- Rechargeable batteries
- Hard core recycling practices
- Email receipts and invoices to clients
- Only create samples from clients I’ll keep in touch with
- Photograph each album produced so I need less samples
- Rain barrel and composting
- Tank-less hot water heater
- Offer sustainable wedding albums and products
- Conduct most business via phone or video conferencing
- Web based information, policies, procedures and prices
- Drop ship most orders from lab
- MP Packaging is from post consumer or sustainably harvested sources
- MP Packaging is fully recyclable
- Shipping packaging is reused from vendors to customers
- All canvas wall prints are from a Green photo lab
- All framing is done locally and are from reclaimed wood sources
- Long time vegetarian
- Network with other Green Photographers at greenerphotography.org
- Actively market with wedding reception locations within 15 miles of my home
- Encourage clients to purchase heirloom wedding albums instead of buying the digital files
- Digital files delivered on reusable USB jump drive instead of short-term DVDs
- My Mom makes my proof-book bags out of extra cotton material on hand
- Encourage and offer handmade, USA created products and albums
- All vendors MP uses are located on the East coast
- Drive a 10 year old manual Honda Civic
There is always room for improvement and keeping up with the American lifestyle is difficult at times.
Do you have any ideas on ways to reduce waste? Something you’ve done for your wedding or your kids that was simple and easy to implement?
What else can I/we do to be a sustainable small business owner? Leave a comment below!